There is nothing better in the whole world than chocolate. Some may tend to disagree with me on that, but I feel it’s a one-stop shop. Chocolate calms, relieves stress, satisfies cravings, and is the perfect ending to a long day [with wine].
Every once in a while I get in the mood for granola. I don’t eat it all the time, but when I need a little mix-in for my yogurt or for a sweet snack, this granola is my go-to. The touch of almond extract and the crunch of the nuts makes this recipe a flavorful treat. Give it a try….I promise it won’t disappoint! Be warned: it is veeerrryyyy chocolaty.
CHOCOLATE & ALMOND GRANOLA
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
4 tablespoons cacao nibs
1/3 cup chia seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup honey or agave nectar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (regular sized chips could be used too – I prefer the mini)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray your baking sheet lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients – oats, almonds, cacao nibs, chia seeds and salt.
- In a glass bowl, microwave honey/agave and oil until melted and warm. Whisk in cocoa powder. Add vanilla and almond extracts and stir until smooth.
- Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spread granola on baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, stirring every ten minutes or so. Granola will still be slightly soft when done. Let cool slightly. Break up larger pieces.
- When granola is still a bit warm, stir in chocolate chips. The warmth of the granola will slightly melt the chips, giving it a nice, chocolaty taste.
Fresh out of the oven:
Adding the chips after slightly cooling:
Nut allergy: Eliminate the almond slivers and almond extract. Increase the oats to 3 1/2 cups and the vanilla to 1 teaspoon.