Last week on my snow day I watched an older movie titled “People Like Us” starring Chris Pine, Elizabeth Banks and Michelle Pfeiffer. In the movie, the main character told his nephew (the one he just found out he had) seven things to always remember in life. These bits of knowledge were taken from his late father, the boy’s grandfather. So many times we worry about the little things when all that really matters is that we are present, aware, and have passion for the things we love. For the most part, I thought these seven things roughly summed up life and wanted to share them with you.
- If you like something because you think everyone else will like it, it’s a sure bet that no one will.
- Most doors in the world are closed. If you find one that you want to get into, you damn well have an interesting knock.
- Everything that you think is important, isn’t. Everything that you think is unimportant, is.
- Don’t sh*t where you eat (metaphorically).
- Lean into it. The outcome doesn’t matter. What matters is that you are there for it. Whatever IT is. Good or bad.
- Never sleep with someone who has more problems than you.
- Always assume your mother is listening.